Senior Site Reliability Engineer
LinkedIn is the world's largest professional network with more than 433
million members in 200 countries and territories around the globe.
As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer at LinkedIn, I am responsible for ensuring
that our complex, web-scale systems are healthy, monitored,
automated, and designed to scale.
I provide guidance, mentoring and a point of escalation to other SREs for services in my team's domain.
I work closely with our development teams from the
early stages of design all the way through identifying and resolving
- Subject Matter Expert on several extant core infrastructure services
- SME on new hardware allocation infrastructure, rolled out company wide
- Uplifted legacy services to meet current development and operations standards
- Primary point of contact for my team's services for new datacentre buildouts
- Reported internal application vulnerabilites and shepherded through to closure
- Maintain and operate globally distributed, high-availability architecture for several core cross-team services under tight SLAs
- Develop tools to improve ability to deploy and monitor custom applications in a large-scale Linux environment
- Work closely with development teams to ensure that platforms are designed with "operability" in mind
- Participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation
Cloud Administrator / Developer
In my own time I administer a fleet of Fedora instances, providing assorted Internet services for several people, and for my own personal projects.
- Develop and maintain Saltstack formulae for configuration management
- Use Vagrant for a testing envrionemnt
- Provide DNS and web hosting for reedmurphy.net and several other domains
- Maintain a Mediawiki installation
- Provide shell accounts for private use
- Hack on several other in-development projects, including a Python roguelike, a distributed AI assistant, and a handful of custom web applications
Site Performance and Availability Engineer
REA Group Limited
REA Group Limited is a multinational digital advertising company
specialising in property.
As a Site Performance and Availability Engineer I was responsible for
implementing key components of many web application in a collaborative
environment. I helped design solutions that run at scale and used
infrastructure-as-code techniques to deploy and operate complex systems.
Additionally, I shared on-call responsibility with a pool of other
- Maintained and worked with globally distributed, high-availability architecture under strict SLAs
- Worked directly in project teams, taking responsibility for monitoring, disaster recovery and automation
- Worked on a team responsible for the operation, maintenance and deprecation of key legacy systems
- Built and maintained continuous integration, testing, delivery and deployment pipelines and infrastructure
- Built tools in Ruby to manage CloudFormation templates and stacks
- Migrated our Atlassian Bamboo infrastructure to AWS
- Used CloudFormation and cfn-init to automate the build, deployment and updating of Bamboo build agents
- Planned and executed Amazon RDS disaster recovery processes
- Generated GraphViz graphs of CloudFormation resources from CloudFormation stacks
- Wrote a pure sh tool to post messages to Slack
- Designed, planned and implemented load testing on a cloned production MySQL database using generated production-like queries
- Built a Slack / Leankit integration for managing daily change planning and announcements
- Implemented application monitoring using CloudWatch and PagerDuty
- Participated in an on call rotation, both in an out of hours and as primary and escalation
- Participated in company-wide security responses involving assessing our infrastructure for vulnerability, patching vulnerable systems, monitoring for attacks, etc.
- Participated in a change request process involving stakeholders across multiple business units
Linux System Administrator
Catalyst International is a "full-service marketing communications
group" based on St Kilda Road, Melbourne. Catalyst Digital is Catalyst's
web- and email-marketing focused child company. I also worked in a contracting
capacity for Taguchi, developers
of an advanced email marketing and broadcasting platform, and Catalyst's
- Was responsible for the implementation, and ongoing administration, of development and production web servers
- Planned and performed the decommissioning of legacy physical servers, replacing them with virtualized services provided by AWS (including EC2, S3 and RDS)
- Implemented a push-based configuration management system using chef-solo and littlechef
- Implemented a centralized logging, analytics and monitoring system across all hosted services using Splunk
- Installed, configured and maintained several Drupal instances, including custom development work
- Designed and implemented an automated Google Analytics and Google AdWords campaign reporting tool
- Provided technical input, and liaised with developers, designers, managers and other stakeholders during project development
- Implemented a scalable systems metric monitoring dashboard, using
- Integrated an Amazon CloudFront CDN into Taguchimail, including syncing and optimizing media uploaded via SFTP and HTTP
- Drafted and implemented policies and procedures for aspects of Taguchi's business
- Decommissioned legacy physical servers, replacing them with virtualized hosted services
Linux System Administrator
White Dog Green Frog
White Dog Green Frog is a Melbourne based web hosting and web development company. They provide email- and web-hosting to over a thousand clients, mainly small to medium businesses, and mostly from the Melbourne area.
- Was responsible for all aspects of the server lifecycle for customer servers
- Was responsible for the in-office network, including Internet connectivity, desktop, VoIP and email systems
- Monitored distributed server logs using FOSS tools
- Implemented and oversaw automated backups
- Improved and maintained server security through
- Was on call 24/7, and was responsible for responding to any alerts and incidents
- Installed and managed the support ticketing system
- Developing CMS components to meet web development projects’ needs
Software Engineering Intern
- Designed, implemented and documented a cryptography API for Google Gears
Sacred Heart College, Kyneton
- Performed network installation, configuring and troubleshooting
- Produced and maintained technical documentation
- Provided Windows / Mac desktop support and troubleshooting
— This resume is rendered using JSON Resume, Python and Pystache.
Dealing with Trolls
— A succinct article on recognizing and dealing with trolls online, written for The Feminist Observer, a former digital magazine.
— In progress roguelike game. Written in go, using the termbox library.
— Trivially easy to use tool for the automated creation, expiry and management of Amazon EBS and RDS snapshots. Written in Ruby, using the
— Incomplete roguelike game and engine. Written in Python, using the urwid library.
Google Analytics and Google AdWords campaign report generating tool
— ouputs HTML and PDF slideshows. Written in Python, using the google-api-python-client
— Automatically applies updates to GetSimple CMS and plugins. Written
in PHP, inspired by WordPress' update functionality.
News Manager RSS
— An extension to the existing News Manager blogging plugin for the GetSimple CMS that serves up the blog as an RSS / Atom feed. Written in PHP.
— Automated, schedulable, remote and local backups for GetSimple
CMS websites. Written in PHP, inspired by
'Backup and Migrate' for Drupal. 2nd place winner of the GetSimple March 2012
— Automated creation and rotation of Amazon EBS volume snapshots.
Written in Python, using the boto
A bot that automatically aggregates statistics and screenshots of user-submitted content
— for a large online activist community. Still in use, and considered
valuable by the community. Written in Python, using
cPanel / WHMCS reseller integration
— Automated account owner settings, per-reseller defaults for hosting, spam filtering, etc. Written in sh.
— Provided cinema screening time and booking integration between
Joomla and the VenueTickets cinema ticketing system
Developed for White Dog Green Frog. Involved
creating a PHP API for VenueTickets' proprietary network protocol.
WordPress bulk plugin installer
— automated installation of sets of WordPress plugins. Written in bash, with heavy use of curl. Created for White Dog Green Frog. Dramatically reduced the build time of new WordPress websites.
— Automated multi DNS block list checking script. Written in bash.
2nd place, GetSimple March 2012 Create-a-thon, GetSimple CMS
"The Simple Backups plugin by ReedMurphy took a task that everyone should be doing and made it work without needing to schedule a cron job (unless of course you wanted to). His way of getting around that limitation was ingenious and is something that I will be implementing on some of my own sites in the very near future." — Chris Cagle, GetSimple Developer